Electronic data interchange (EDI) is the transfer of data between two partner companies. To emphasize its importance let us inform you that EDI, for example, has been at the core of the automotive industry where the data is shared between supplier and customer to OEM* component manufacturers.
The data once received needs to be translated to a format in which internal systems can understand. The process of the translation is typically automated but has many breakpoints due to various setup data mismatches. In the case of a mismatch, the IT team shares the issue with the business team who is required to fix the data issue and enable the translated file to be reprocessed and uploaded. This is a tedious and time-consuming job and causes delays due to it being a manual process. Also, someone needs to keep track of all the issues and the file can only be uploaded once all of the issues have been remedied. Many times this leads to missing data or delayed shipments. To overcome the issue Thirdware has developed a bot using the automation anywhere RPA platform to improve the speed and accuracy of the EDI data update. The automation of this process involves the following applications:
- Automation Anywhere RPA
- EDI message
The Automation Anywhere RPA platform is used to automate the entire process. Excel is used for various inputs and validations, and email applications are used to communicate with the customer service representative (CSR) for additional information and collating of error messages.
Watch the video below to see how the EDI Bot carries out all the EDI Monitoring Process bringing the following benefits:
- improvement of supplier quality ratings;
- reduction or elimination of OEM* chargebacks;
- faster processing;
- better accuracy, incredible flexibility, and scalability;
- improved compliance, audit trails, and real-time analytics.
* An Original Equipment Manufacturer or OEM is a company that manufactures and sells products or parts of a product that their buyer, another company, sells to its own customers while putting the products under its own branding.